Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Oscar the Grouch and Cupcakes

I hit a cardstock wall tonight. Just couldn't decide what to do - so just decorated and cut out individual cupcakes. That, of course, would be CARDSTOCK cupcakes not REAL cupcakes.
You MAY be surprised to read that I actually WILL be making REAL cupcakes eventually.

I'm a 'dorm mom' on for one of the residence halls on the college campus where I work. I've been a '4th floor mom' to 50+ (mostly) freshman for several years! Some years the floor is co-ed, last year it was all girls (I should say young women). Every semester we have a 'naked cupcake night'. Let me explain... We (myself and the other 4th floor mom's) bake LOTS of cupcakes. We take the cupcakes, lots of frosting, and several choices of toppings (sprinkles, candies, colored sugar, etc) up to the 4th floor student lounge. All the 4th floor 'kids' come running - and spend an evening decorating cupcakes. They have a blast! It is so much fun watching them. Some of them decorate their own cupcake and eat it right there on the spot. Some of them just want to sit and decorate cupcake after cupcake. Some of them only eat the cupcakes. Girls and guys - they all have fun on 'naked cupcake night'.

The first time we had cupcake night - the floor moms made and decorated the cupcakes - then a couple of the students said something about loving to decorate cupcakes back at home with moms and grandmas. So we surrogate 'moms' thought - why not let the kids do the decorating.

It's a little taste of home for students far from home.

Now let's talk card!
Inspired by Oscar (the Grouch not de la Renta). The Res-Q-Challenge is just so cute!
The challenge was to be inspired by the Sesame Street Song, by Oscar the Grouch, ‘I Love Trash’. Here are the lyrics:

Oh, I love trash!Anything dirty or dingy or dustyAnything ragged or rotten or rusty
Yes, I love trash

I have here a sneaker that's tattered and worn
It's all full of holes and the laces are torn
A gift from my mother the day I was born
I love it because it's trash

Oh, I love trash!
Anything dirty or dingy or dusty
Anything ragged or rotten or rusty
Yes, I love trash

I have here some newspaper thirteen months old
I wrapped fish inside it; it's smelly and cold
But I wouldn't trade it for a big pot o' gold!
I love it because it's trash

Oh, I love trash!
Anything dirty or dingy or dusty
Anything ragged or rotten or rusty
Yes, I love trash

I've a clock that won't work
And an old telephone
A broken umbrella, a rusty trombone
And I am delighted to call them my own!
I love them because they're trash

Oh, I love trash!
Anything dirty or dingy or dusty
Anything ragged or rotten or rusty
Yes, I love, I love, I love trash!

What a FUN challenge!!!!!!
I used lots of ‘trash’ (AKA treasures) used on this one!
~Base card is a recycled file folder (outside color dark teal – inside olive green). Edges smudged with black.
~Next is a layer of BasicGrey-Recess – on this I embossed using VersaMark, Ranger Distress Embossing Powder-Black Soot and SU! It’s About Time.
~Image layers: torn black hand-made paper, torn rust color hand-made paper, torn layer of aqua mulberry paper, torn layer of beige color mulberry paper, torn piece of OLD book, torn image of rotary dial phone from mini gift card from Tri-Coastal Design – edges smudged with Tim Holtz Distress Ink ( Old Paper & Vintage Photo).
~Ribbon area: Layer of same base card (folder) twill ribbon – smudged with Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Fired Brick, Old Paper, Vintage Photo). Swirly brad has grosgrain brown and black ribbon, three colors of twisted wire, aqua colored sheet ribbon, and three different types of jute/cording.
You can get up close with the card by clicking on the image.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a note. Each is read and appreciated.