Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Even I can use an apron






I'm hoping to get better at being a regular blogger. But until school gets started that is doubtful. I did manage to squeeze in one card or two this week. There was a wonderful challenge over at Splitcoaststampers. The challenge was to get inspired by one of the aprons at Heavenly Hostess. It is such a fun site I bookmarked it for future inspiration.
So...any of you have fond, or otherwise, memories of apron clad women? Like memere's (grandma's) bakin' sugar cookies or the church ladies servin' up church fundraiser meals, or the ladies who cooked 'hot lunch' at school (oh no - I feel another Blog subject coming on...Shepard's Pie) or Flo and Alice from Alice's Restaurant???

You'll may read about Shepard's Pie at a later date! It has something to do with attending Catholic grade school, nuns in full habit, and priests who thought it was a sin to waste food. Where did Fr. D GET that big spatula anyway? The scrape table, that brown robe, GIANT wood rosary, knotted cord, sandals (with socks)....OMG it's all coming back to me!!!!! Why didn't I just pack a lunch and buy milk for 3 cents a carton????
Deep breath....back to the cards.

I saw the white apron and immediately thought - wedding. So naturally I made a wedding card. The gloss white is embossed using a Cuttlebug folder. The 'bouquet' is stamped, embossed, then 'fussy cut' (as quilters would call it) and layered to create a bunch of flowers. The ribbon I almost DIDN'T buy at the Dollar Tree. I picked it up then rejected it because it was too wide. Then I picked it up again because it was so pretty and because...yes, let's hear it you Dollar Tree junkies..."it was ONLY A DOLLAR!" I gathered it a bit, added the silver white brads. The sentiment was from a dollar bin at Michael's.

The brown card is stamped with Versamark for a watermark image of the argyle stamp from Stampin Up. The flowers were 'fussy' cut from a scrap book border paper from Oriental which I've have for several years. Hurray - finally had the perfect reason to use it!
You can get up close with the cards by clicking on the image. Thanks for clicking in!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a note. Each is read and appreciated.