Monday, January 16, 2012

Foiled Fractions

How did this card get started? Well, I unwrapped a piece of Christmas chocolate and inside the outer wrapper was an inner wrapper of a really thin piece silver foil. Being the 'can I use this on a card freak that I am...I ate the candy and took the foil to my card making Bubble, gently pressing the newly found 'treasure'. Then I started looking for inspiration and ran across a few ideas that screamed, "this card could really use a candy wrapper"!

Now for confession time (in addition to the "I'm still eating Christmas candy even though I made a candy-less New Year's resolution"). I am really REALLY bad at math. And fractions? Forgetta' bout 'em! And dividing fractions? I'm not even sure that is possible...is it? I vaguely remember divisors, dividends, quotients, reciprocals...? I clearly remember tears....lots and lots of tears as my father would do his best to help me with my homework...lovingly shaking his head and I'm sure wondering how, he a man who's livelihood relied on math could have spawned such an empty headed, devoid of all things calculus, daughter! I am blessed to say - he loved me anyway!

I should NEVER pick a layout that has equal parts of design paper distributed on a surface. So...before you even look at this card I will point out the center column is SIGNIFICANTLY narrower than its companions. I had originally cut just four strips - then decided I didn't like all the silver foil showing through. So I moved all the one inch strips closer together starting at the outer edges of the card and working in. Then I sliced a skinny strip to fill the space. The outer strips are one inch skinny one is some goofy number of little tick marks on the ruler. Don't even THINK about asking me what size it is! So! Here goes...


Aqua Foil
~Base card PaperTrey Ink Select White
~Layer of American Craft silver foil specialty cardstock (gift from sister Gail - who by the way is good at math)
~Five different slices of SEI White Elegance design paper
~Horizontal layer of the same design paper with the edges smudged with Color Box Blue Lagoon Chalk
~Layer of sheer polka dot ribbon
~Scallop circle of aqua American Craft foil specialty cardstock, topped with scallop circle of white cardstock, and topped with the CANDY WRAPPER FOIL - die cut using a punch
~Prima flower with rhinestone center
~Happy Holidays stamped using Stazon Teal Blue on label cut using my new Cricut and a borrowed Winter Wonderland cartridge
Inspirations and Challenges
Shabby Tea Room - photo inspiration
Card Patterns - sketch
Paper Pretties - white, silver, blue

Thank you for clicking by and by the way the chocolate was delicious!
Nancy in Iowa

6 comments:

  1. Wow what a lovely card love the embossed backing papers :) Sandra H

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! You sound just exactly like me when it comes to trying to get something to come out even on my cards! But whatever, because this is just fantastic the way it is! Love how you used that candy wrapper too. Wonderful card!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card, Nancy. Great selection of DP. Love the different sizes. On the background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cards look really beautiful.It look so simple and modern look.This one is really fabulous.Blue color flowers look amazing.

    gifts for men

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super pretty! Way to recycle, and a great excuse to eat more chocolate! lol!
    Thanks for joining the color challenge at Paper Pretties this week!
    Cheryl First
    Paper Pretties DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very elegant, thanks for joining us at Card Patterns this week.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a note. Each is read and appreciated.