Monday, December 19, 2011

Fruitcake Brother-in-Law

I just love it! My brother in law is in charge of mailing all the Christmas cards at my sister's home. During the year I gift hand-made cards to my sister Judy. Then every year he ends up sending us a Christmas card that I made. So I promptly turn around and re-purpose pieces-parts from the card he mails.

The first year he did that my sister yelled at him...his response was..."well you told me just to use 'Nancy cards' for special people...she's special isn't she?" This year he wrote the usual Merry Christmas note with an added "nice card, huh?"

I'm thankful he sent the card when he did - as the image is just what I needed to play along with the color inspiration challenge (red/olive/kraft) over at JUGS (Just Us Girls)! I pulled apart the card, added some red, some dry embossing, a little bit of this and a little bit of that...and poof! New card!



Fruitcake Wreath
~Base card PaperTrey Ink Kraft
~Rectangle layer of Bazzill Burgundy, embossed using Cuttlebug Swiss Dots
~Square layer of rectangle layer of Bazzill Burgundy
~Square layer of white cardstock
~Square layer of design paper from Stampin' Up
~Ribbon
~Free digital wreath image from Addii, colored with Copics and, highlighted with Stickles, Stampin' Up Crystal Effects, and Flower Soft - printed on white cardstock, die cut using Cuttlebug Scallop Circle, scallop dots using Pigma Micron 0
~Sentiment stamp from a Michael's dollar bin - punched using Stampin' Up Word Window

Who knew my brother in law would help me create a card?! This one will stay in the family...other sister Gail requested 10 Christmas cards for next year. So Gail when you get this one...think of Guy! You could even reserve this one to mail to Judy and Guy. Or you could mail it to niece Linda and SHE can re-purpose it into an even different card...and she can mail it to me....and ...well you get the picture. This card could be the new fruitcake!

Thanks for clicking by,
Nancy in Iowa

6 comments:

  1. Your BIL certainly sounds like a fun person. I love the new card you have come up with. Wouldn't that be funny for your other sister to send it back to your BIL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so much FUN!!!! I wonder how many years you can keep the same (parts) card going!
    This is so very pretty. Love the DP you used on here too.
    Hope you have a wonderful Christmas.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your card story! FUnny. Nice card. thank you for joining JUGS this week. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is lovely and great story:) Sandra H

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story about your brother-in-law! Love your card! Thanks so much for playing with us at Just Us Girls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to know that hilarity runs through the entire family - blood or not! Heh Heh! What a fun story! HOW this card came to this week's Jugs challenge is one for the history books, my friend! Well, well done! LOVE it when you play with us...! {Special thanks to the BIL!}

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a note. Each is read and appreciated.