Saturday, September 12, 2009

Tea Time - Making and Remembering College Memories

College homecoming is next week. How did I get to be co-advisor anyway? My office is FILLED with stuff that I can’t wait to be rid of …homecoming t-shirts, props, tickets, prizes, 3 laptops, decorations, and 12 swimming pool noodles… I practically have to climb over my desk to get to my computer. Swimming pool noodles you may ask… I’ll explain next week.

Ten candidates nominated by their peers today for Homecoming Court. I had the privilege of telling several of them – it made my day hearing/watching their reactions. Wonderful kids nominated – all of them – no ‘plastic people’, no phonies, no snooties – all good decent kids. Glad I don’t have to vote on just one of them next week!

Yesterday was Miss Amy’s birthday. She is on her way to Chicago for a U2 concert. She stopped in Iowa City on her way. I got a text message from her, it said, “so many memories”. Ahhhh…college days…. If I thought she wouldn’t get mad at me I’d tell you about a freshman experience of hers and her pals on ‘the drunk bus’. Trust me, it is chuckle-worthy!
Miss Bailey is spending the night with us this evening. She came up to Briar Cliff this afternoon after school. Once there she got invited by several of the college kids to go work on homecoming decorations. She of course went running off with them – completely delighted. They came back to my office saying they were going to the cafeteria for supper and were taking Bailey with them. She went with them – completely delighted. After dinner they went back to the lounge to continue creating decorations. Finally talked her into going home around 8! (and I thought she was coming over to see me…..)

Info on the card:I was in the mood for an old-fashion look. I had the image colored in and varnished from an earlier day in the bubble. I woke up early and assembled the card this morning before Miss Bailey awakens.
~Base card is vanilla
~The base design paper reminds me of old-time wallpaper
~Layer of cardstock and then layer of another design paper
~The image is Stampabilties ‘Tea Time’. I colored using Copics and watercolor pencils~I painted over the entire image area with a water-base varnish then adhered this to a slightly larger piece of black cardstock to ‘frame’ the image
~The ‘clump’ of buttons is from my vast button collection – I tried to use vintage-feel buttons in complementary colors – assorted ribbons (because I can’t seem to make a card without ribbons

You can get up close with the card by clicking on the image.
All good wishes,

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a note. Each is read and appreciated.