Saturday, June 5, 2010

Long Distance Hugs, Cats, and Dragons

Sad day...no comments on my previous blog. Sad day indeed. Oh well who needs affirmations and kudos. It's all about my Bubble Time. Might be pinched for Bubble Time this week because Granddaughter Bailey is spending the week!!!! YIPPPPEEEE!!!

Freshman orientation session today (and continues through tomorrow). How YOUNG they look. I met a particularly sweet young lady and her mother. The mom was sitting at a table by herself at dinner. I asked her if she would like to join a table I was sitting at with a few other people. She said, "No, I'm just sitting here far enough away from my daughter so I can watch her but not be in the way. I'm just watching her interact with the other kids. She is not a social butterfly so I can hardly believe she is off sitting with others. I'm a single mom and we are pretty close and I am so happy to see her sitting there making friends - and school hasn't even started. I'm going to be six hours away - this is going to be hard - but sitting here watching her I know it is all gonna be fine."

I told her I was available for long distance hugs if she ever wanted to call me I could take care of that. She said she would be calling me for "just that very thing". She then asked me if I had cats. (CATS????!!!) I smiled and sweetly told her no. The mother then said, "oh Hannah LOVES cats and she is going to miss her cat something awful. I was hoping you had a cat she might hug once in awhile". I promised a surrogate mama hug from time to time and told her I'd see what I could do to hook her daughter up with a kitty cat from time to time. (CATS??? I don't LIKE cats.) But I do love freshman students and will do my best to find SOMEONE with a cat in need of hugs (do cats even LIKE hugs???) It was the highlight of my day.

Time to post the card now as I need to get ready for day two of freshman orientation!


Daisy Dragon Day~Base card Paper Trey Ink White~Layer of striped K & Co. Happy Birthday 2 U~Vertical layer of yellow cardstock topped with balloon print layer of K & Co. Happy Birthday 2 U, embellished with layer of hot pink birthday ribbon from Michael's dollar bin
~Image by Dustin Pike, colored in using Copics, balloon coated with Ranger Crackle Accents, flame and party hat pom pom topped with Stickles Yellow~Layers of mini punch flowers (I could have used thumb therapy after punching these sweeties) - centers dotted with Stickles Diamond
~Challenges:
The Pink Elephant- BRIGHT colors
Doodle Dragon -use flowers and a Dustin Pike image
Splitcoast Stampers - SC116 sketch




Dressed up Note~Base card PTI White
~Layer of DCWV All Dressed Up
~Ribbons
~Circular Clip
~Sentiment from Just Rite stamped on cardstock and torn to size
~Cuttlebug die cut curly-q's right lower tucked under flower
~Silk polka dot flower, two layers of paper punch flowers, Prima flower, and black/white argyle metal brad
~Challenge
OCC - black/white/text (no image) (I missed the deadline to upload this to their site but I really like the card)
I'm off to get ready for round two - Freshman Orientation - the Class of 2014. (I wonder what they thought of their first night in a dorm...sharing a bedroom with a stranger and a bathroom with 30 strangers AND no air-conditioning? Hmmm.....)
All good wishes,
Nancy

2 comments:

  1. fab couple of cards, love the one you made for DDS, thanks for joining us

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I love the shoes in your profile pic!

    Very clever using the little flowers for decorating around the cake! Thanks for playing along with us at Doodle Dragon Studios!

    Hugs,
    Lelia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a note. Each is read and appreciated.