Sunday, May 10, 2015

Work-Life Tie Dyes

I can't believe it has been nearly a month since I last blogged! It's not like I haven't had anything to say! It's not that I don't look longingly at my card making area as I make my way to the treadmill. I need to figure out a way to work on cards while steppin' it up on my treadmill!

I have to admit the new job is still kickin' my arse. I haven't gotten into a rhythm that includes Bubble Time yet! I will though! I keep hearing at my place of employment: "work-life balance". I need to embrace it for myself! Work-Life-Card-Blog balance!

This card is for a special graduate. Let me tell you about Briar! She was a student at my former employer. Four years ago she selected her college based on a Google search of colleges that included her name. Her first stop was Briar Cliff University. She loved it immediately and her mother, during freshmen orientation, indicated, as a Colorado resident was happy the campus visit started and ended in Iowa as the next stop would have been Briarcliffe College in New York!

Well, Briar and I, and her mother got close over the years. Briar is graduating on Saturday with her bachelor's degree. I'm providing a location for her graduation party. I'm looking forward to meeting the rest of her Colorado family! Her card had to be colorful because she is a colorful kid! She helped pay her way through college by making custom and assorted tie dye garments! Here is her Etsy site and here is her business Facebook page. So....colorful it is!

The outside sentiment is a little cryptic...The inside says "to celebrate". She is graduating with her degree in Radiology Technology. In case you are a little rusty on your anatomy information....there are 203 bones in the body. Hence...203 reasons to celebrate!

I struggled with figuring out what to do with her card...this was the best I could come up with. Corny right?! She'll get it - I guess that is what is important.

May 11 Update:  I just walked back into my Bubble... I looked at the card sitting on my photo area and was stunned! 203? 203? Oh Emm GEEE!!! There are 206 bones! I will be making the appropriate change to the card below! How embarrassing! I'm a nurse! But in my defense...NOT an ortho nurse. Burn nurses don't so much care about bone quantities...?? YIKES! Not as embarrassing if I had actually given her the card! I wonder which 3 bones I left out?



 
 
Plenty of Reasons
~Base card - PaperTrey Ink
~Layers of DCWV Glitter Stack
~Three flower buttons
~Metallic floss
~Strip of Recollections Glitter on a Roll
~Sentiment laser printed on white card stock
~Spellbinders ribbon banner die cut
Challenges | Inspirations
Retro Sketches - sketch
Just Us Girls - embossing (sentiment banner)
Come and Get It - flowers
613 Avenue Create - celebrate
 
Here is to finding my work-life-card-blog balance, working on better sentiments for my next card, and figuring out a way to make "treadmill cards"!
 
Happy Mother's Day everyone!
 
May 11, 2015
 
Briar's card....version 2.06!!!!
 
 
 
Seriously embarrassed - but happy I caught it before I handed it to my dear Briar! Same sketch - different scraps of the same glitter cardstock collection.
 
Here's to remedial anatomy lessons, noticing my 'boneheaded' mistake, and revisions!
 
Nancy in Iowa
 
 
 
 
 
 


5 comments:

  1. lovely papers on your card thanks for sharing with 613 avenue create Rachel dt

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely story Nancy. Lovely bright and colourful card. Great finish with those pretty buttons. Thanks again for sharing your creations with us at Just us Girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading your blog....and so nice of you to host the party! Super colorful card that sounds like it will be perfect for this ambitious young lady! Thanks for joining us for our embossing week over at Just Us Girls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful cards!
    Thank you soo much for taking part in our "flowers” challenge over at Come and Get it & good luck in the draw.
    Hope to see you again in our next challenge as well…

    Hugs,
    Melanie
    (DT Penny's Paper Crafty Challenges)
    (DT-Coordinator Creatalicious Challenges)
    (DT Come and Get It)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sweet card, wonderful papers. Thanks for sharing with us at Come and Get It. Meighan DT

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a note. Each is read and appreciated.