Sunday, March 2, 2014

Cobbler, Catch Phrase, and Keys

Fun night at chez McGuire's Friday night! One of the university girls who spent the night during the water main break told me she wanted to come over to fix dinner for us as a thank you for letting her bunk here. She loves to cook and bake. So she invited a few other students. I invited an alum - that alum brought another alum. I told the student chef that I would buy the ingredients and she could cook. She insisted on buying everything. I insisted on at least purchasing the dessert ingredients. She always gets her recipes emailed to her by her mama so they are tried and true goodies!

I had all the dessert recipe necessities...all the other student guests had arrived. Everyone but the cook and the ingredients for the Taco Soup. So...the kids plowed through salted peanuts, corn chips, salsa, verde salsa, and cheese as we played board games. FINALLY the baker called, "Oh my gosh, I fell asleep! I'm on my way to the store right now." I asked her to email me the recipe to see if there was something I could get started. Surprisingly, I had most of the ingredients. She stopped at the store for the 2 things I didn't have on hand. In the meantime one of the kids who where trying to stave off hunger with chips and dip started opening canned goods, chopping onion, and browning ground beef.

The official cook showed up at last and completed the culinary tasks. Even though it was a later start to the evening than I would have planned, it ended up being a great evening! Taco Soup, Cran-Apple Cobbler, a bottle of wine (to those who were of age of course), lots of chips/salsa, peanuts, several rounds of "Heads-Up", "Say Anything", "Catch Phrase", and lots of laughter, two alum, and three students later we had a memorable (and VERY late - for me) night! Can't remember the last time I stayed up until 2 am. Oh I forgot the laundry - lots of loads of laundry - the students know when they come to my house their laundry is welcome as well).

Best (or worst) quote of the night? One alum to another (both are 22) speaking about another alum who graduated prior to them: Alum One: "How old is Jarred?" Alum Two: "He's OLD - he is 26!"  By the way, the soup was delicious and the cobbler was delightful.



Keys to _______
~Base card red card stock
~Layers of 7 Gypsies Lillie framed with black card stock
~Brad
~Key charm
~Pennant garland Teresa Collins Far and Away
~Vellum
~Sentiment - stamped with StazOn black
Inspirations | Challenges
Just Us Girls - sketch
Tuesday Throw Down - anything goes
Southern Girls - swinging in the Breeze
2 Sisters - Black, white, one other color
Paula Holifield - are we there yet? (keys | Eiffel Tower | map)
Treasured Times - anything plus layers
Inky Impressions - charm

Here's to peanuts, laundry, and laughter,
Nancy in Iowa

10 comments:

  1. pretty card! Thanks for sharing it with us at SGCB! and I enjoyed reading your student story too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card with great detail
    Thanks for joining in this week at Inky impressions challenge.
    Hugs katie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice card and a nice story. Thanks for joining us at the 2 sisters challenge. Marijke.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great papers and love the charm. Thanks for joining us at Just Us Girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice card thanks for joining us at inky rubberstamps!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous media type card -- great use of the sketch. Thanks for joining in at JUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Outstanding card!!! Love the banners you incorporated and gorgeous 7 Gypsies paper!! Thanks for joining us at Just Us Girls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job with our sketch this week over at Just Us Girls....love the added charm and the pennants. Wonderful card!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a GREAT story! Seriously!
    The last couple weeks have been tough in my house and we were at the hospital for a surgery last week for my daughter and walking past labor and delivery made me say...I think I am done having babies! I say that because that's what being up at 2AM makes ME think of! Not having with 20 somethings! LOL!
    But I bet you had such a blast and the food sounds like it just wonderful!
    Such a great story to have shared!
    That I almost forgot why I was here! Hahaha! Your wonderful card for our Southern Girls challenge...really love it and the texture and design! Well done!
    Glad I came by today! =)

    Warmly, Leah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful card love the beautiful papers. Thanks for sharing with us at A Little Bit Crafty. Susan x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a note. Each is read and appreciated.