Saturday, July 30, 2011

Whackin' and Whittlin'

Since there was drying time involved with the previous card I worked on card number three for Mary Lee. This is probably what, in the quilting world, we would call a 'cheater' card. This is what happens when you buy cardstock that is actually created for scrapbooking. Large images that won't fit on a card...what do you do? I'm not about to start scrapbooking just to use them up  - so I whacked it down to size! It was really 'difficult' to do because the cardstock was so yummy. But...with a deep breath, a slice with the paper cutter, and crossed fingers that my 'vision' wouldn't end up in the trash...I managed to accomplish the task.

12" x 12" Santa was whittled down to fit a 51/4 " square card - a few simple embellishments - and HO HO HO - a card! The sparkle areas (hair, beard, upper right curve) were already part of the cardstock.


Santa Slice
~Base card - PaperTrey Ink Kraft cardstock
~Design paper - My Mind's Eye Signature Christmas by Jen Wilson
~Button (in real life it really does match the background of the Santa)
~Satin and sheer ribbons
~Three metal brads
Challenges
Frosted Designs - circles
Stampin' B's - use ribbon
Craft Us Crazy - anything goes
Our Creative Corner - red and aqua
Allsorts - free and easy
Totally Gorjuss - Christmas in July
Southern Girls - photo inspiration

Thank you for clicking by,
Nancy in Iowa

8 comments:

  1. I love this card!! I love that you used partial circles!! Thanks for joining us at Frosted Designs this week for our circle challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are looking oh so good! I might make my personal challenge to my self this year to have all Christmas 'stuff' ready by Thanksgiving--thanks to your inspiration! Mary Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often make 6x6 cards out of that kind of cardstock and add just a sentiment. Takes the work out of making a card. I love what you've done here, another use for those 'useless' large patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a good use of scrapping paper - loely card. I love the classic feel and colours.
    Thanks for playing with us at southern girls. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes it is just so hard to cut down that paper! This Santa is delightful and you have done a fabulous job turning him into a card! Thanks for taking on our circle challenge at Frosted Designs!

    barb :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic card!!

    Thanks for playing in our latest free and easy challenge at Allsorts and good luck in the draw....

    Emma xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great image! Thank you so much for sharing with us at Allsorts and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful. Something I have not seen a lot of in blog-land. Very original. Thank you for joining in with us at Southern Girls this fortnight. I have some candy on my blog if you are interested in joining in.
    Alicia xx
    http://alicia-timetocreate.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a note. Each is read and appreciated.