Thursday, July 10, 2014

Framed by Wedding Super Villains

Bane: (noun)
1. Something that causes problems or misery
2. Something that causes ruin

Also: a DC Comics Super Villain

I just wanted to make sure that the following sentence is correct:

Aaaagggghhhhhh!!! Wedding cards!!! They are the bane of my card making existence!

#1 - Check! YES they cause problems AND misery
#2 - Check! Wedding cards always require a MULLIGAN - sometimes parts of the card - frequently all of the card

My new mantra will be: Wedding cards are the super villains of card making!

My sister Gail requested a card for our niece's upcoming nuptials. Luckily she knew what she wanted. I made the card and put it in the "Omaha Stack of Stuff" for my next trip to Nebraska. Then my blood ran cold as I realized I TOO would need a card for the happy couple! Unlike my sister I had no idea where to start! Then I remembered a card I made for another Omaha friend. It was one of my favorite wedding cards ever!

Wondering if I could recreate it I went in search of the text/graphic... After an hour of folder after folder I decided to go with this. As soon as I finished this...of course I found the ACTUAL text/graphic I wanted to use.

So...I picked this sentiment and thought I HAD to add gemstone flourishes. I checked the Hobby Lobby ad and YES!!! Paper Studio items - ALL 50% off!. I made the trip to H.L. bought the sale gems...return excitedly to The Bubble...they were ALL WRONG! No way I could make them work. So I opted for die cut flourishes and glitter card stock. But all was not lost - in addition to a pair of discounted pearl flourishes I picked up some clearance items - all while using a gift card from my sista' Gailey!

ALSO - I tried printing on the glitter card stock using my printer....it NEVER dried. So I 'made do' with white card stock and Stickles.

I know if you have to explain something - it probably didn't work the way you intended....so here I go explaining the design paper... They are empty frames...get it? "New Beginnings"? Empty frames to fill with the happy couple's new memories... Lame? A stretch?

The UP side - I really like the glitter flourishes. Up close and 'in real life' it reminds me of sugar eggs.

I may have to call MULLIGAN!  I certainly call WEDDING SUPER VILLAIN STRIKES AGAIN!

P.S. I promise no more wedding card ranting. (Until I have to make the next one...)


Framed Memories
~Base card PaperTrey Ink Pinefeather card stock
~Layer of Bazzil magenta card stock
~Layer of American Crafts Yes, Please by Amy Tangerine
~Digital image die cut using Stampin' Up Apothecary Accents Framlit and my trusty Cuttlebug, magenta card stock 'shadow' behind sentiment
~Spellbinders Floral Flourishes die cut DCWV Glitter Card Stack
Challenges | Inspirations
Little Red Wagon - wedding/anniversary
Craft-Room - wedding/anniversary
Die Cuttin' Diva's - wedding/anniversary

Here's to villains, mulligans, and sales at Hobby Lobby!

Nancy in Iowa


7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, can I relate to this post! You handled it beautifully though! Thanks so much for joining us at Craft-Room Challenge ~ Christi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy, that flourish is beautiful!!! Love the empty frames background too - and it's a gorgeous wedding card. Makes me want to get married again just so you can make another one and send it to me! LOL!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely creation.
    Thank you for sharing at Craft-Room Challenge;-))m

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing at Die Cuttin' Diva this week.

    Stay Creative,
    Georgiana
    • Carson's Creations •

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the sentiment and it is lovely. thanks for joining us at DCD

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly pulled it off Nancy.......a lovely card. Thanks for sharing with us over at Little Red Wagon this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautiful wedding card! I love those glittered flourishes. Thank for joining us at the Craft-Room.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a note. Each is read and appreciated.