Sunday, April 24, 2011

DNA, RNA, and ToC

My 94 year old mother has been spring cleaning. Since I do much of the cleaning her house what this really means is she is 'decluttering' by sending 'stuff' with me. My daughter calls it 'transfer of crap' (ToC) and it has been going on for years. I believe it is embedded in our maternal family DNA or perhaps in our RNA since it is more like a virus than anything else!

Why give something to the Goodwill or toss it in the trash when you can 'transfer' it? She has sent boxes and zip lock bags FULL of 'stuff' lately. Little do they know it but my sisters are going to be recipients of crap transfer....nothing like transfer-of-crap via the U.S. mail system!

Who knew we would get every child made card back? What does one do with all this accumulation? Especially me...who is NOT a 'saver' of things. Speaking of the human genome project - I missed the sentimental gene when they were being doled out. I am fully aware, however, of paybacks. Remind me to tell you about the 'oh-so-Holy-See' payback I received from sister Judy.

It is so much fun imagining my sister in Georgia getting a package...opening it with anticipation...only to find it is used objects from a nook or cranny from 'the homeland'. I'm laughing out loud just thinking about the look on her face when she gets this most recent goodie box. But the joke will be on me as sissy Judy is much more sentimental than I am. She and her girls may actually enjoy this particular transfer.

The best Transfer of Crap EVER was the transfer of the snow emergency can from my mother's car trunk when she finally (and fairly recently) decided to stop driving. (As she put it, "I only drive in daylight, and I wait for kids to be in school...") I blogged about the emergency can transfer here.

My sister in Omaha is NOT exempt either - she TOO will be in on the receiving end of 'transfer of crap"! I may not be sentimental but I do have a dark side! I prefer to call it a humorous side...not everyone agrees with this assessment.


Hello Fanny
~Base card - PaperTrey Ink Spring Rain, stamped with Versamark, embossed with Ranger Seafoam White using Stampin' Up Perfect Plaid
~Layer of pink cardstock stamped with Versamark embossed with Ranger Seafoam White using Stampin' Up Canvas
~Layer of red cardstock stamped with Versamark embossed with Ranger Rich Red using a patchwork stamp
~Five rhinestones attached using i-rock crystal and stud heat-setting tool
~Fan (cardstock/fabric/lace/hearts) is a transfer of crap item from my mother's house
~Ribbon
Challenges
Case Study - design elements
Play Date Cafe - color inspiration
The Rubber Cafe - polka dots
Tuesday Throwdown - polka dots
Craft Your Passion - dots
Crafty Ann's - fancy folds

Time for another "Where's Bobbins" picture... Here is my own "Traveling 'Gnome'" in the bathroom of the Red Hen Fabrics (quilt shop)  in Georgia. Ahhh...good memories.

Happy Easter and thanks for 'hopping' by.
Nancy in Iowa

9 comments:

  1. Hey Nancy this is a great card - and a fun story to read! Thanks for playing along at the Play Date Cafe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the card Nancy and was thoroughly entertained by the read! Thank you for sharing both with us at Crafty Ann's
    Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A gorgeous card, Nancy - the fan is beautiful.
    Love the idea of ToC - my family are in for a treat - gotta lot of C to T :-)
    Thank you for joining us at Crafty Ann's

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great card! Beautiful fan - I never tried it before, but it looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous, lace-trimmed fan! And I love the way you've highlighted it with that gemstone arch! Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at The Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy, I love your fan! Too cool! Thank you for playing with us! Hugs ~S~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delightful card! Love that fun fan!! Thanks for joining us at The Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute - I'm a fan of that fan! LOL! Thanks for joining us at The Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am laughing at the ToC .... so funny. Bet your sisters don't laugh when they get the packages. You made me smile BIG this morning. Thanks for sharing. Deirdre

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a note. Each is read and appreciated.