Sunday, November 21, 2010

I Need to Get to Work so I Can Have a Bubble Break

I know I should be getting ready for the holidays. Thanksgiving Day is just around the corner and here I sit making cards. But I NEED to make cards...sister Judy will be here from Atlanta soon and will want to take cards back with her. And of course there is me...who NEEDS to have time in my Fiber Bubble...just to keep what little sanity still remains.

My employer, Briar Cliff University, has two additional Rwandan students arriving tomorrow. Two students arrived in August for the start of the academic year. They are delightful and have been mentioning how cold it is since the temperatures 'dipped' into the 40's! Romalise has been wearing a parka since mid September! Several of the staff and faculty of BCU pooled money together for Project Stay Warm. The monies collected purchased a hooded sweatshirt, mittens, stocking cap, and BCU scarf from the campus bookstore - a set for each of the four Rwandans.

Romalise stopped by my office last week - all decked out in his new hat, mittens, scarf, plus the hood of his new sweatshirt pulled up over his stocking cap AND his parka. With a beaming bright smile he said...."I'm staying warm!". I wanted to say - "yes, you are warm because it is only 52 degrees Fahrenheit outdoors" but I didn't. Instead I said, "You look great in that hat!" He picked one with ear flaps, braids and tassels. I didn't have the heart to say..."has anyone talked to you about wind-chill, snowfall, and subzero temperatures that go on for days?" He just looked so adorable all bundled up...I was sweating just looking at him!

Since the campus is essentially closed for break - I have 'Rowanda....it must be Tuesday' detail. Two young women arrive tomorrow late evening. I've been assigned Tuesday with these equator residing young adults. One place I will certainly be taking them is to the university bookstore to pick up their Stay Warm bundled gifts. I will be giving them the grand tour of our hilltop campus and making sure they get served a couple of meals as the campus cafeteria is closed until Nov. 28. Why you might ask would I be charged with anything to do regarding food preparation? GOOD QUESTION!!! Cooking is NOT my forte'. I'm a nervous wreck in the kitchen...it is definitely NOT my comfort zone. Give me a vacuum cleaner, dust cloth, rubber gloves, and bleach ANY day.
But feed them I will...lunch somewhere very Iowa-ish (a mom/pop shop cafe') and supper at my house. I will actually be having all four of the Rwandans for dinner at my home. That should be interesting....poor kids - they don't know what they're in for...The rest of the term break they will spend with fellow Rwandans in another small city in Iowa - Storm Lake.

And this is what I've been up to instead of getting ready for holiday family and out of country guests....





Star of Wonder
~Base card - Gina K Designs Pure White
~Layer of Bazzill Wildberry Pie cardstock
~Strip of navy cardstock down the right side of the card
~Layer of vellum stamped with Ranger Adirondak Snow Cap Pigment Ink with foam snowflake stamp, also stamped with Versamark and embossed with Tsukineko Turquoise Embossing Powder
~Three metal snowflake brads
~Chipboard aqua glittered star
~Six white large white metal brads
~Freebie digital image from Stretch n' Bubbles printed on Paper Temptress Cryogen White cardstock, tiny stars dotted with Stickles Diamonds, scarf and nose colored with Copics, buttons and eye topped with Stickles Black Diamond, snowman body filled in with Prisma Ultra Fine Multi Glitter using Sakura Quickie Glue
~Sentiment hand written using calligraphy quill and black ink, edges smudged with Color Box Chalk Blue Lagoon - silver metal eyelet punch in corner
Challenges
Stampin' B - Snowflakes
Totally Papercrafts - Snow/Snowflakes
Christmas Stampin' - Sketch
Delightful Challenges - Winter
One Stop Craft - Snow People
Simon Says Stamp - Sparkle
Wild Orchard - Blue Christmas



Merry & Bright
~Base card Gina K Designs Pure White, edges smudged with color Stampin' Up Cool Caribbean
~Layer of BasicGrey Figgy Pudding
~Free digital image from Wendy Made printed on Paper Temptress Cryogen White - bulbs colored with Faber-Castell turqoise watercolor pencils, coated with Inkssentials Glossy Accents, spotlighted with Sharpie Poster Paint White, bulb bases colored with Sharpie Poster Paint Metallic Gold, edges of cardstock distressed with Tim Holtz Peeled Paint
Challenges
Play Date Cafe - #56 color inspiration: Red, Olive, Turquoise
Stampin' for the Weekend - Winter

I really MUST do a bit of domestic labor now...Maybe for a break I'll sneak back into The BUBBLE. Of course I have to go DO something productive to get a break from doing it....

All good wishes,
Nancy

18 comments:

  1. Great cards Nancy,I love how you've achieved the look of glass on those bulbs,I always get an air bubble,lol! Have a great week,Julie.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet cards :) Thanks for playing with us at WOC ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab cards, love your colour choices.
    Thanks for playing along with TPC this week and good luck
    Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute cards! I love your frosty card. Thanks for playing along with the "cold" challenge at Delightful Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute holiday cards! Thanks for playing at the PDCC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute cards! Love the glassy accents and the bulbs are perfect choices for the colors. Thanks for playing along with us at the PDCC.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous cards but i love the snowman. Thanks for joining us at the OSCC this week. luv gina xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm such a snowman lover and your card is adorable. The bulbs are just looking real. What super job you did! Love the cards. BTW, good luck in the kitchen. LOL Thanks so much for joining the Stampin B's this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nancy - these are fab... enjoy your entertaining... sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! Ha! Love your musings about the Rwandans. Hope they are staying warm and your grand tour is going well!
    Love your pretty, glittery snowman card.
    Thanks for joining our 'Snow & Snowflakes' challenge at Totally Papercrafts this week.
    Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous cards and I love your post! You are hilarious! Thanks for putting a smile on my face:)
    Joanne xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Nancy
    A fabulous card,thankyou for joining us at Delightful Challenges,
    Hugs Dianne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. 2 lovely christmas cards!
    Thanks for joining SFTW!
    Hugs Di xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fab snow people card, thanks for joining us at Oscc this week and good luck!
    Hugs
    Francesca

    ReplyDelete
  15. SUPER cute cards! I love that snow and snowman! And I like how you made your lightbulbs look real:) Great job!! Thanks so much for playing along with us and joining in the fun over at the PDCC!! We appreciate and love our players:}

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that snowman image, great textures too, thanks so much for joining in our Snow people challenge at OSCC this week!
    Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great cards!
    Love the papers.
    Thank you for joining us over at Stampin for the Weekend.
    Have a blessed day
    Heidi-Mari

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a note. Each is read and appreciated.